The META13 metal parapet is a vehicle containment system designed to be installed on bridge edges and decks, pass works, coronations of retaining walls and similar works. It complies with UNE EN 1317 parts 1 and 2 that, in conjunction with meeting part 5 in terms of production control, means it has CE marking.
The CE marking of the META13 Metal Parapet demonstrates excellent results obtained from rigorous full-scale crash testing performed by an approved laboratory.
Intrusion Level of the VI2 Standardised Vehicle (0.7m) in compliance with current regulations.
The META13 metal parapet has undergone full-scale crash testing, following European Standard EN 1317-2, at CIDAUT’s Road Infrastructure Safety Laboratory in Mojados (Valladolid) Spain and passed all H2 High Containment acceptance criteria.
|Vehicle type||Vehicle mass (kg)||Speed (km/h)||Angle of impact (º)|
|Vehicle type||Vehicle mass (kg)||Speed (km/h)||Angle of impact (º)|
The META13 metal parapet has been tested on a cantilevered slab to simulate real-life conditions on bridge decks.
Based on the full scale testing carried out, the META13 metal parapet carries the CE marking according to European Standard EN 1317-5.
Every year we renew the CE marking of the META13 metal parapet via an audit from the certification body, AENOR, who verify that the materials used and the manufacturing processes conform to that which has been declared.
The parapet components are manufactured using S235JR, S275JR and S355JR hot-rolled steel sheets pursuant to Standard EN 10025 and hot-dip galvanised following Standard EN 1461. The finishing of this product can also be strengthened using a duplex system: hot-dip galvanized and thermo-coated.
- Reliability of the containment system as it has been tested in the worst possible scenario, on a cantilevered bridge deck.
- The reduced dynamic deflection DN = 0.6 m and the excellent working width WN = 0.8 m (W2) of the system, allow it to be installed on support elements with optimized dimensions.
- These properties allow the placement of acoustic screens and vandal-proof fencing very close to the parapet.
- System with fusible anchor. In the event of a crash, its replacement is quick, simple, inexpensive and without structural alterations in the bridge deck.
- Lightweight and small.
- Simple assembly due to its reduced number of components.
- Possibility of transforming it into an H3 system.
- Versatility of the system, being able to perform the functions of a vehicle and pedestrian containment system by installing a grid.
- Possibility of adapting alternative anchoring systems in the case of existing bridges.
- Hot-deep galvanizing of all its components according to EN 1461.
- Thermo-lacquered in the different standard colours of the RAL chart.
PROTECTION FOR PEDESTRIANS:
Possibility of attaching three protection models for pedestrians and interior walkways to the META13 metal parapet; metal mesh, metal grille and methacrylate sheet.
Parapet with Metal Mesh
Parapet with Metal Grille
Parapet with Methacrylate Sheet
CATENARY PROTECTION SCREEN:
Possibility of installing a shielding system at the rear of the META13 parapet.
Check the installation details and drawings of the different transitions adapted to each device.
TREATMENT OF EXPANSION JOINTS:
Installation of connectors and expansion abutments to absorb the shift expected by the structure’s expansion joints.
Height of the upper barrier = 1235 ± 25 mm.
The parapet has the possibility of being installed with two types of anchoring:
- Standard anchoring
- Anchoring using a plate with internally embedded threaded rings in the concrete
- Chemical anchoring
- Anchoring using a plate with screwed to the structure using chemical anchoring.
- This is an anchoring system designed to anchor the META13/META16 parapet post to boards where the standard anchor plate cannot be embedded.
- The fixing of the parapet’s post to the anchor plate is through using the same screws and fusible anchoring as those used in standard anchoring.
Equivalence between chemical anchoring and standard anchoring
- The equivalence offered by chemical anchoring and standard anchoring against vehicle impact is demonstrated in the high-energy pendulum test conducted at the Spanish Road Infrastructure Safety Laboratory (CIDAUT).
- Both anchoring systems always result in the fusible screws breaking upon impact. The deck suffers no relevant damage
A reinforced concrete strip reinforces the edge of the deck and facilitates anchoring of the META13 parapet posts.
APPROX WEIGHT: 61Kg/m
Aspects to consider for the good operation of the parapet:
- A reduced edge has been designed for the META13 parapet that minimises the reinforcement required and the concrete to be used. The full-scale test was carried out with the same strap lightened so that European Standard EN 1317 is met when it requires the on-site use of the same slab that was used in the full-scale test to obtain CE marking. Circular Order 35/2014 establishes the conditions under which this slab can be modified but also states that the amount of reinforcement per linear metre used in the full-scale test can never be reduced.
- Deformation of the metal parapet is characterised by the working width “W” and the dynamic deflection “D”. The working width is one of the most important characteristics to consider in choosing a vehicle containment system, given that any element located at the back at an incorrect distance would cause the system to malfunction.
We can offer several finishings for this product, in various forms and grades. Each of these alternatives provides different anti-corrosion characteristics.
HOT-DIP GALVANISING PURSUANT TO STANDARD EN ISO 1461
- Industrial galvanising process.
- It is a procedure to coat pieces of iron or steel by immersing them in molten zinc at 450°C.
- It prevents both oxidation and corrosion to steel from environmental humidity and pollution.
- Helps to protect the product and extend its useful life.
- An industrial process carried out in METALESA’s facilities where we have an automatic thermal-coating process.
- Thermal-coating is a procedure to apply polyester powder paint on the metal surface.
- It is the best coating for a metal surface.
- It provides a plasticised appearance finish and excellent mechanical properties.
- It is a clean application method, without TIG or solvents
- Highly resistant to corrosion and ultra-violet radiation.
- The product can have a finishing in many colours.
DUPLEX SYSTEM: GALVANISED AND THERMO-COATED
- This is the application of the two techniques sequentially, galvanised and then thermo-coated.
- It is based on applying a polyester powder paint to galvanised coatings in situation where an even greater protection against corrosion is required, or when seeking an aesthetic finish.
- Increases the lifespan of the protection in very aggressive environments.
- Provides a greater aesthetic than galvanised steel.