STEEL BRIDGE PARAPET META16 (H3)
ROAD SAFETY SYSTEM FOR BRIDGES
The steel bridge parapet META16 is a vehicle containment system specially designed for the edges of the bridge decks, pass works, coronations of maintenance walls and similar works. This system complies with European standard EN 1317-1 and EN 1317-2 and, together with the compliance of part 5 concerning production control, has obtained the CE marking.
Both Work Width and Dynamic Deflection values are normalized according to valid road safety regulation.
The steel bridge parapet components are manufactured in hot rolled steel sheet with qualities S235JR, S275JR and S355JR according to the EN 10025 standard and also hot-dip galvanized by immersion according to EN 1461 standard. Additionally, the finishing of this product can be reinforced by the duplex system: hot-dip galvanizing + powder coating.
The steel bridge parapet META16 has been tested onto cantilever slab simulating the real conditions of the bridge decks.
It disposes of the CE marking according to 1317-5 standard.
The steel bridge parapet META16 has been subject to full-scale crash tests, following European Standard EN 1317-2 in CIDAUT Laboratories, located in Mojados (Valladolid) Spain. META16 satisfies all the acceptance criteria to be considered a high containment level H3 system.
TESTS MADE ACCORDING TO EN 1317-2 STANDARD
|TEST TB11||TEST TB61|
|900 kg tourism.||16.000 kg lorry.|
|100 km/h (62.1371 MPH)||80 km/h (49.7097 MPH)|
– The reduced dynamic deflection (0.7 m) and the excellent working width (0.9 m) of the system, allows to install them onto slabs with optimized width. These properties admit to set acoustic and catenary protection barriers close to the parapet.
– System with fuse anchor. In case of crash, the replacement is quick, simple, economical and without structural alteration on the bridge deck.
– Light and reduced dimensions.
– Easy assembly due to its reduced number of components.
– Can be used as railing through the installation of a grill.
– Reliability of the system being tested on cantilever slab, representing real conditions of the bridges structures.
– Possibility of adapting alternative anchoring systems in case of existing bridges, through chemical anchor.
– Hot-dip galvanized of all the components according EN 1461 standard.
– Powder-coated in all normalised colours.
Catenary protection barriers:
Possibility of installing a shielding system at the rear of the guard rail META16
Consult the installation details and the plans of the all different transitions adapted to each device.
Possibility of installing a grill fixed at the rear of the guard rail META16 to transform it into a railing and meet the requirements of maximum admitted opening.
Treatment of expansion joins:
Installation of the connectors and expansion abutments adapted to absorb the expected displacement of the structure.
Height of the top bar = 1235 ± 25 mm
Anchoring through plates embedded in the perimeter band of the bridge deck. The parapet can be installed onto existent bridges using chemical anchors (equivalence demonstrated through justified calculation).
A reinforced concrete band strengthens the edge of the deck providing the anchoring of the parapet META16 posts.
Approximatedweight: 67 Kg/m
Things to consider for the proper functioning of the guard rail:
– Cantilevered slab: It must meet the requirements of the EN 1317 standard. For the META16 guard rail, a perimeter thick band has been designed to minimise the concrete volume. The META16 guard rail has been tested according to EN 1317-2 European standard, above the cantilevered slab representing the real conditions of the bridge structures. In case of impact, the bridge deck is protected through an anchor with fuse screws that allows an easy repair.
– The deformation of a guard rail is characterized by the work width “W” and the dynamic deflection “D”. For the election of a vehicle containment system, the work width is one the most important characteristics to take into account, being that any element situated beyond of a determined distance, can provoke a malfunction of the system.